The weather seems to have cooled a bit. Not a lot, but enough to turn on the oven for a bit. I want something light though. That doesn't mean I can't satisfy my chocolate craving. And do it without breaking the calorie bank. With this wonderful creation:
Chocolate Orange Angel Food Cake
- 4 ounces orange-flavored dark chocolate
- 12 large egg whites
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon orange rind, grated or freshly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Make sure a 10" x 4" tube pan is clean, dry and free of grease.
- Grate the chocolate bars on the fine holes of a cheese grater, NOT a teeny-holed citrus grater. (Make sure you do find orange-flavored dark chocolate-- it is not very difficult to find, and absolutely essential to the recipe).
- Separate the eggs, and let the egg whites come to room temperature; about 15 minutes.
- Sift 1 cup of flour, 1/4 cup of the sugar, and the salt onto a piece of waxed paper. Sift them together a total of three times.
- Beat the egg whites until frothy. Add the lemon juice and continue beating. Sprinkle the remaining cup of sugar, 1/4 cup at a time, over the egg whites and continue beating at medium speed until the egg whites are glossy and form soft peaks that bend over at the top. Do not overbeat, or the egg whites will lose their volume.
- Sift 1/4 cup of the dry ingredients over the egg whites and fold.
- Gently stir in the vanilla extract and orange rind.
- Alternately fold in the chocolate and remaining dry ingredients, working in small batches, until just incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the tube pan and bake for 45 minutes, until the top is lightly browned. A knife inserted in the center of the cake should come out clean.
- Remove from the oven and invert the pan. Allow the cake to cool for 30 to 45 minutes. Run a knife around the edges of the pan and tube to loosen the cake.
- You can serve this as is, or with a little whipped cream, or ice cream-- whatever your heart desires. Enjoy!
This chocolate angel food cake is a light and flavorful dessert. Go ahead - have a second piece!