We've always got basil growing in our garden. It's one of my very favorite herbs and we use it in everything - tomato sauce, homemade pasta, pesto.... even sorbet!
Basil is a great match with spciy foods. It has a strong bright flavor that can stand up to all kinds of heat.
You can make this bold-flavored, healthy dish at home in less than 30 minutes - less time than it takes to make a run to your neighborhood Chinese restaurant.
Spicy Basil Chicken
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Ingredients (Serves 4 - 6)
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 6 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon lower-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons chili paste with garlic (such as sriracha or sambal oelek)
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup sliced basil leaves
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add oil to pan; swirl to coat.
- Add onions and garlic to pan; cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add chicken to pan; cook 13 minutes or until chicken is done.
- Combine fish sauce and the next 6 ingredients (through salt) in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- Add fish sauce mixture to pan, and cook for 1 minute or until mixture thickens, stirring to coat chicken. Remove from heat.
- Stir in basil.
Powered by Recipage