Welcome to a Summer Ice Cream Social brought to you by Love in the Kitchen!
In celebration of National Ice Cream Month, I'll be bringing you delcious ice cream treats all week long. Bring your favorite ice cream treats to share on our facebook page. It can't be a "social" unless y'all stop by!
Today I've got an ice cream sandwich that has its first origins at a bar in Stillwater, Minnesota. We went to Smalley's Pirate Bar several years ago and had the hottest wings ever. Seriously. To help alleviate the pain, they offered ice cream sandwiches. And it mostly works to help with the pain.
I thought, why not combine the heat with the cold? And I came up with these ice cream sandwiches.
Now, I didn't use ghost peppers, nor did I make it intolerably hot, but this ice cream does pack a bit of a kick. It leaves a wonderful confusion of creamy-cold and tingly-hot in your mouth. My co-workers all lined up for seconds!
Thanks for stopping by to see what this week's Summer Ice Cream Social has to offer! Don't forget to check out our Facebook page for more information, and the other posts from this week:
- Peanut Butter Ice Cream
- Cream Cheese Ice Cream in Red Velvet Brownie Cups
- Lemon Gelato
- Roasted Peach and Candied Pecan Ice Cream
- Mexican Hot Chocolate Ice Cream Sandwiches
Mexican Hot Chocolate Ice Cream Sandwiches
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Keywords: dessert chocolate ice-cream American Mexican summer
Ingredients (12 sandwiches)
- 2 ounces Mexican chocolate squares (or 2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate squares or chips)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 cup cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons cayenne pepper (more or less depending on the amount of heat you like)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dozen oatmeal cookies (approximately 3 inch diameter)
- Melt chocolate in microwave for 20 seconds. Stir and melt in 10 second increments until smooth and completely melted. Let cool completely.
- Stir cinnamon and cayenne pepper into chocolate.
- Add chocolate to milk and stir until combined. Stir in half and half, cream and salt. Add sugar and stir until fully combined and smooth.
- (If your chocolate does not combine smoothly into your cream and milk mixture, you can microwave the mixture in 30 second increments, stirring after each 30 seconds until the chocolate is completely combined.)
- Chill in regrigerator for 2 hours (four if you have heated the mixture) or 30 minutes in the freezer (1 hour if you have heated the mixture.)
- Proces in an ice cream maker for about 25 minutes or according to the manufacturer's instsructions.
- While ice cream is at soft-serve consistency, spread one half cup of ice cream onto the bottom of one cookie. Place another cookie on top of the ice cream to make a sandwich. Repeat with remaining cookies.
- Place sandwiches on cookie sheet and cover with plastic wrap. Freeze for 1 hour and serve.
Powered by Recipage