This is a tasty treat, with a surprising hint of vanilla. And it is sugar free!
We planted stevia in our herb garden this year and have yet to really use it - until tonight. Instead of using sugar or Splenda to sweeten our lemonade, I made a simple syrup with stevia. Sweet!
Sweet Vanilla Lemonade
2 lemons (I used Meyer because they have a delicious, fragrant flavor and they grow in my garden, but any lemons will work)
1/2 cup chopped stevia
3 strawberries (optional)
1 teaspoon vanilla
6 cups of water, plus ice
1. Place the stevia and two cups of water in a small pan. Bring to a boil and turn off the heat. Steep for several minutes. Taste the syrup - you can add more stevia if it is not sweet enough and steep for a bit longer.
2. Strain into a medium bowl.
3. Squeeze the lemons into the stevia syrup.
5. Add 2 cups of the remaining water and taste to make sure the lemonade is not too concentrated. If it is, add more water. If necessary, add some Splenda (mine was quite sweet, but I would have added something if it wasn't because I like my lemonade on the sweet side).
6. Add ice to two glasses and pout the lemonade over the ice. Enjoy!
There you have it - a cool, tasty drink for your hot summer afternoon!