Quinoa is a tasty alternative to pasta or rice. And, for those who have those requirements, quinoa is gluten free* and one of only two plant based foods that provide all nine essential amino acids. All that, and little goes a pretty long way.
This recipe is a tasty side dish, that could be stretched with some protein (grilled chicken would be great) to create a whole dinner.
Red Quinoa with Grilled Summer Veggies
1 small yellow squash
1 orange pepper
1 red pepper
1 white onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper
1 cup quinoa
Salt and pepper
4 ears of corn
1.Chop squash, orange pepper, red pepper, onion and minced garlic and toss with 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large mixing bowl. Season with a few pinches of salt and pepper.
2. Grill in a vegetable grill basket.
3. Grill the corn.
4. Cook quinoa according to instructions on the package.
5. Cut the corn off the cobs.
6. Combine cooked quinoa with the grilled vegetables. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add some fresh chopped oregano or basil from the garden if you have it!
Note: This works with just about whatever summer veggies you have in your garden. Experiment with different color and flavor combinations and enjoy!
For more great recipes, check out The Grocery Cart Challenge Recipe Swap! If you have a recipe to share, please join in the fun!
* Note - There may be some risks to gluten exposure with certain quinoa products such as flour and flakes. These products go through processing plants that may use machines for wheat products and quinoa product thus causing cross contamination.