This is the very best way to caramelize onions. I've done it many times on the stove, but if you want to do it properly, it takes quite a bit of stove-top time and you need to stir. And stir.
Slow Cooker Caramelized Onions are"fix it and forget it" - slice the onions and let them cook. And slowly, they turn into caramelized gold.
Simple and versatile, these onions are great with everything from French Onion Soup to grilled meat or veggies, or even with eggs!
This is a great recipe to make overnight.... but you might want to make it outside. The aroma of caramelizing onions is wonderful, but not, at least in my house, conducive to a good night's sleep!
Slow Cooker Caramelized Onions
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 hours
Ingredients (7 cups)
- 6 pounds onions, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 8 tablespoons butter (1 stick)
- Place the onions and butter into the slow cooker.
- Cover, and cook on low for 10 to 14 hours, until the onions are deep brown and very soft.
- It's almost impossible to overcook these; make sure to let the onions cook until they are deep brown and almost melt when you bite into them.
- Use for French Onion Soup or with grilled chicken or fish, or on a grilled cheese sandwich. They are delicious any way you eat them!
Powered by Recipage