This simple and flavorful dish is classic Italian comfort food. Served by itself, this is a wonderful lunch, or with pasta or on a crusty Italian roll, a hearty dinner.
Cooking the peppers low and slow brings out their inherent sweetness. The addition of the chicken broth to deglaze the pan after cooking the sausage adds a rich depth of flavor, and the fresh herbs, added at the very end, brightens the dish.
This recipe is so simple as to scarcely be a recipe - more a process to assemble the dish. Try different flavors of sausage and different herbs. Or stay traditional - there is a reason it is a classic!
Sausage and Peppers
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 large red bell peppers, stemmed, seeded, and cut into 1/4″ strips
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 package (12 ounes) Italian sausage links, sliced into rounds
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chopped oregano
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat olive oil in a saute pan over medium-low heat. Cook for 2 minutes and add the peppers.
- Cook the peppers until softened. Add the sausage slices and raise heat to medium high.
- Cook until the sausage is lightly browned, stirring throughout to ensure the peppers do not burn.
- Add the chicken broth and cook until it is incorporated.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the oregano. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Powered by Recipage