Not too long ago, we were driving with my father-in-law and spotted a restaurant that served Mediterranean Food. My father-in-law asked what was considered "Mediterranean Food" exactly. He figured maybe it was pizza.
The countries that have inspired Mediterranean food all surround the Mediterranean Sea. These cultures have eating habits that developed over thousands of years. In Europe, parts of Italy, Greece, Portugal, Spain, and southern France have congtributed to what is considered Medierranean food, as have Morocco and Tunisia in North Africa. Even parts of the Balkan region and Turkey as well as Middle Eastern countries like Lebanon and Syria have Mediterranean food in their roots.
The Mediterranean region is warm and sunny, and produces large supplies of fresh fruits and vegetables almost year round that people eat many times per day. Wine, bread, olive oil, nuts, and legumes (beans and lentils) are other staples of the region. The preparation and sharing of meals is a very important and festive part of Mediterranean culture as well, and Mediterranean cuisine is popular around the world for its flavors.
So pizza yes, but also so much more. This fast and easy chicken dish has many ingredients and flavors of the Mediterranean.
Rustic and filling, this tasty chicken has all the flavors of the Mediterranean and just a little bit of heat!
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Keywords: saute entree chicken artichoke hearts garbanzo beans Mediterranean
Ingredients (Serves 8)
- 4 boneless, skinless chiken breasts
- 3 red bell peppers, diced
- 2 15 ounce cans Garbanzo Beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 14 ounce cans Artichoke Hearts, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (more or less, to taste)
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups frozen peas
- Dice the chicken breast and saute in large skillet over medium heat until browned.
- Add the bell peppers and saute until the peppers are soft.
- Add Garbanzo Beans, Artichoke Hearts, rosemary, cumin, coriander, oregano, ground cayenne and chicken broth.
- Bring to a simmer and add the frozen peas. Simmer until the peas are heated through.
- Serve hot with crusty French Bread.
Powered by Recipage