Today is Crazy Ingredient Challenge Day! CIC is the headed up by Dawn at Spatula’s On Parade - this is one group of talented chefs who come up with these recipes each month, made with, well, crazy ingredients!
I knew exactly what I wanted to make when I heard that this month's ingredients were apples and basil. I love both ingredients in both sweet and savory recipes. The Apple and Basil Gazpacho I made is sort of a combination of both!
This is a super recipe for hot weather (something we've had a lot of lately). And if you're not in the mood for something cold? Try it hot - also delicious!
I love the flavor of the basil with the bright strong flavor of the apples. I used cinnamon basil that I have growing in my yard - just the perfect flavor combination!
Before you get to my recipe, see what other fantastic recipes that my fellow Crazy Ingredient Chefs have made:
Apple and Basil Gazpacho
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes plus 3 hours to chi
Keywords: blender soup/stew Apple Basil
Ingredients (Serves 6)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced, plus one for garnish
- 2 cups unsweetened apple juice
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped, plus several sprigs to garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the apples and saute until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 8 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, blend unti smooth.
- Stir in the heavy cream and remove from heat.
- Chill for three hours and serve cold.
Powered by Recipage