We had our "We've Fallen in to a Pumpkin" theme dinner last week. The Mr covered our entire dining room in orange plastic, so it did indeed look as if we were in the inside of a pumpkin!
The menu was everything pumpkin!
- Tuscan White Bean and Pumpkin Soup (recipe below)
- Pumpkin Chicken Mole
- Pumkin Gratin crusted with Rosemary and Parmesan
- Pumpkin Muffins
- Pumpkin Souffle (recipe below)
Tuscan Pumpkin-White Bean Soup
- 1 spray(s) olive oil cooking spray, or enough to coat pot
- 1 medium onion(s), coarsely chopped
- 15 oz canned pumpkin
- 3 1/2 cup(s) fat-free chicken broth
- 15 1/2 oz canned white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 tsp ground oregano
- 1/8 tsp table salt, or to taste
- 1/8 tsp black pepper, or to taste
- 6 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- Coat a large soup pot with cooking spray and set over medium-low heat. Add onion, cover and cook until tender, stirring occasionally, about 6 minutes.
- Stir in pumpkin, broth, beans and oregano; simmer 8 minutes.
- In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. (Note: Make sure not to overfill blender in order to avoid splattering.) Return soup to pot and reheat; season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls and top each with 1 tablespoon of grated cheese. Yields about 1 cup per serving.
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 15 oz canned pumpkin, puree
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup(s) fat-free evaporated milk
- 4 oz Neufchatel cheese, softened
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 3 large egg(s), separated
- 1 large egg white(s)
- 1/3 cup(s) sugar
- Heat oven to 350ºF. Coat a 2 1/2-quart soufflé dish with cooking spray, sprinkle with 2 tablespoons sugar. Over medium heat, cook pumpkin until no longer steaming, about 8 minutes. Mix together cornstarch and evaporated milk, whisk into pumpkin. Bring to boil; remove from heat and cool.
- Beat Neufchatel with pumpkin pie spice and ginger; beat in yolks to combine. Beat in cooled pumpkin mixture.
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Add remaining 1/3 cup sugar one tablespoon at a time until stiff. In three additions, fold whites into pumpkin mixture. Pour into prepared dish. Bake until puffed and a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes.