I have always loved donuts. When I was young, I was a Winchell's girl. Cruellers were my favorite, though a perfectly fried, plain cake donut always held a special place in my heart.
And while I still love donuts, I don't always want something fried. These baked donuts are a fantastic replacement for my old favorites. The bright flavor of orange in the donuts and delicate orange blossom flavor in the glaze are a perfect match for the light and fluffy donut.
They don't take long to make - about 30 minutes in all - so these are a great way to start a busy Saturday!
Baked Orange and Buttermilk Donuts with Orange Blossom Glaze
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Keywords: bake breakfast
Ingredients (18 donuts)
- 2 cups cake flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons milk
- 1-2 teaspoons orange blossom syrup
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Spray Doughnut Pan with vegetable cooking spray.
- In large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, orange zest and salt. Add buttermilk, eggs, orange juice and butter. Beat until just combined. Fill each pan cavity approximately 2/3 full.
- Bake 7-9 minutes or until the tops of the doughnuts spring back when touched. Let cool in pan 1-2 minutes before removing.
- While donuts are baking, make the glaze by stirring together the confectioners' sugar, 3 tablespoons milk and 1 teaspoon orange blossom syrup. Add more syrup to taste and more milk if necessary for a smooth medium-thin glaze.
- Dip the top of each donut in the glaze and let set for a few minutes. Serve while still fresh and warm!
Powered by Recipage