Sunday, November 30, 2008
Saturday, November 29, 2008
- lights are up outside mostly
- bathroom done
- dishes unpacked
- nutcracker tree up
- wreaths on all the doors
Friday, November 28, 2008
We are still at my brother-in-law's house, but we are heading to a winery this morning (!) and then driving from Paso Robles down to San Diego, about a 6 hour drive. Then we get to get our tree!! And start getting our Christmas boxes out!!!
Thursday, November 27, 2008
Wednesday, November 26, 2008
Tuesday, November 25, 2008
I love a good holiday sale, and the best sales are after Christmas. We shop all of the holiday decor sales after Christmas. We have found some of our favorite holiday stuff during these sales! After we buy it, we box it up and store it until the next year.
One of the best parts about decorating is opening up the boxes and remembering what we bought the previous year!. I am hoping we get a chance to get our boxes (and boxes and boxes!) of decorations out of their storage place in our garage before Saturday morning ... and maybe see what we bought last year!
Monday, November 24, 2008
Sunday, November 23, 2008
Saturday, November 22, 2008
Friday, November 21, 2008
As if Christmas weren't theme enough, we like to celebrate each Christmas with traditions of different parts of the world. We do our research about whichever country, region or even era, choose our Christmas dinner menu based on that... and have t-shirts with logos on them for the crew. My sister is a graphic artist which is an INCREDIBLE help for this endeavor! We have a lot of fun learning about the different ways that people celebrate the holidays throughout the world.
In the past couple of years we've had...
Aren't I lucky to have this kind of talent in my family??!!
We're still narrowing down this year's theme. I'll keep you posted!
Thursday, November 20, 2008
- Were you named after anyone? My mom always liked the name Susan, and my middle name is after my godmother.
- Do you still have your tonsils? yes
- Would you bungee jump? I am terrified of heights. But, being afraid of heights makes me angry so I won't let it stop me from doing things. So I would bungee jump, though it would be pretty stressful I think.
- What is your favorite cereal? I'd like to say something healthy, but the truth really is... Frosted Flakes.
- Do you untie your shoes when you take them off? Yes
- What is your favorite ice cream? rocky road... yum!
- What is the first thing you notice about other people? I notice how they talk, their vocabulary, grammar and pronunciation. I think that says a lot about a person.
- Least favorite thing about yourself? I'm fairly stubborn. When I was younger I needed to be right about everything and have (kind of) grown out of that, but I am still stubborn.
- What is the last thing you ate? a breakfast bar
- What are you listening to right now? a book on MP3, "Ender in Exile" by Orson Scott Card
- What is the last movie you watched? "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" (getting in the holiday spirit!)
- What did you dream about last night? I can't remember any dreams actually,
- Summer or winter? Both, especially the beginning of the season.
- Do you have any special talents? I like to think I am a pretty good photographer.
- Coke or Pepsi? Coke, specifically TaB
- Word you would hate to describe you? Stupid
- Do you live in a different state from where you grew up? Yes - grew up in Minnesota, now I live in California.
I am tagging these 3 fabulous bloggers (if you've already done this or just don't want to, don't feel obligated):
Wednesday, November 19, 2008
Tuesday, November 18, 2008
I've loved baking since I was a very little girl. Christmas cookie baking is at the top of my favorites. I usually bake dozens and dozens of different types of cookies and give most of them out as gifts. One year I baked "The Twelve Days of Christmas" in cookies - lots of work, but oh so cute and tasty!
Some cookies I make every year. I've been making Candy Cane Cookies since I was in junior high school (these are my sister's favorite) and also my mom's favorite Brownie Drops for as long as I can rememeber. One of my favorites is a Chocolate Checkerboard Cookie from Martha Stewart (a bit tedious but delish).
I've been working on perfecting a recipe given to me by one of my mom's friends. She has been giving us Braetzels every Christmas since I can remember. When I moved to California, she gave me the recipe so I could make my own. I haven't been able to recreate hers (anyone out there make braetzels and have any tips?) but I keep trying, and one year I'll do it!
I'm also always looking for new recipes to try. I found a fun source this year - Gourmet Magazine's Favorite Cookies 1941 - 2008! I'm hoping to try at least one from that list this year. Food Network aslo has their 12 Days of Christmas Cookies coming soon. Maybe one of those will catch my eye.
Anyone have any great recipes to share? I'd love to try something new!
Monday, November 17, 2008
Sunday, November 16, 2008
I love our everyday holiday table. I got this set of Pfaltzgraff Snow Bear dishes before we were married and I love to use them for our everyday dishes during the holdiays. For our "company" dinner we use our china, but for everyday, it is such fun to see these dishes.
I also have a set of these fun "Noel" crystal flutes... Half in green, half in red.
I can't wait to switch my dishes out!